6.29.2009

White Coat Ceremony

Tonight was Cody's white coat ceremony. Above the students were filing in waiting for the ceremony to begin. Cody just happened to be center behind the table. Wikipedia defines a white coat ceremony as the following:


The white coat ceremony (WCC) is a relatively new ritual in some medical, dental, pharmacy, veterinary medical, physical therapy, podiatric, and optometry schools that marks the student's transition from the study of preclinical to clinical health sciences. At some schools, where students begin meeting patients early in their education, the white coat ceremony is held before the first year begins.
WCCs typically involve a formal "robing" or "cloaking" of students in white coats, the garb physicians have traditionally worn for over 100 years[1] and other health professions have adopted.



This is Cody actually getting "cloaked".



This is Cody after the ceremony leaving the room. He gave the camera a big smile!



This is me and the soon to be doc! He looks so official.


After the ceremony we were able to tour the dental school which was pretty neat. I took a picture in the practice clinic, or whatever it is called. These are the dummies that they get to work on before they get to real patients. With the teeth they collected they actually mount those into a mouth type thing and are able to work on them. Pretty cool! Some of the 3rd year dental students were giving us the tour and when I snapped a picture of these he commented that no one had ever taken pictures before on the tour. I replied back that I need some entertaining material for my blog (the group laughed!). Obviously he has a really boring blog or doesn't have one at all.

2 comments:

Amber Kimber said...

DUDE, don't expect me to call you Doc for some time. I ughh am still not over the nick name Sally Ann! Sorry my friend that is just how it has to be for awhile.

Jared & Melisa said...

I didn't think Dentists had white coat ceremonies, I thought it was only for D.C.'s.
That is exciting my friend best wishes as you start school. Don't forget about our future charitable endeavors in central and south America.