6.26.2009

Exploring Oklahoma

Cody's parents came in to town last night and today we got to spend the day seeing the sites in Oklahoma City (there aren't too many, but there are some). First stop today was the Oklahoma City National Memorial. This memorial was built in memory of the Oklahoma City bombing that hit the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building on April 19, 1995.


Cody and I at the front of the memorial


This fence is filled with signs, things, and memories of the victimsThis is the survivor tree which actually survived the bombing and is now a special symbol of resilience.This is a picture looking all the way down the memorial.



In the background of this picture are a bunch of chairs (one for each life that was lost in the attack) that represent those who died and what level of the building they were on (based on what row they are on). All in all 168 adults and 19 children were killed in the bombing.


We went through the museum and tour they had there which was really interesting (and had air conditioning which was a plus). They even had one of the survivors of the attack come in and talk about her experience during and after the bombing. It was really neat and inspirational to hear her story. More adventures to come soon!

2 comments:

Jared & Melisa said...

SORRY CODY!!! I promise I didn't leave dentists out on purpose. I pasted that definition from a friends blog who used wikipedia. Maybe next time I should double check my sources, but hey its a blog.

Jared & Melisa said...

On a lighter note it looks like your two are enjoying your selves in Oklahoma. And Jared and I can't wait to see pictures from your white coat ceremony.