6.20.2009

We made it

As planned we left Orem at 3:30 a.m. Friday morning. The initial plan was to just drive as far as possible and then get a hotel and drive the rest saturday morning. We ate breakfast in Grand Junction, Colorado around 8:00 a.m. and continued on to Denver for lunch. The drive to Denver was pretty sweet, I was expecting more of an up and down drive and we didn't really have that until about 100 miles west of Denver. We climbed two pretty impressive passes, the last one we got right at the top of the tree line at 11,000 feet and then went through a sweet tunnel that was at least a mile long through the mountain. Rachelle will enjoy this picture of me driving the U-haul because I'am wearing my glasses that I typically only wear at night after I take my contacts out. She thinks they are hilarious. I think I got a sweet deal because they were only 35 bucks for both the lens and the frame. We only had to stop for gas 4 times which I didn't think was too bad. I was also expecting well over $100 bucks per fill up but each one only ended up being about $80 so we were happy about that. We ended up feeling a little dangerous and drove the entire way on friday (about 1200 miles). After Denver I cannot begin to explain how boring the drive was. I was pretty sure Kansas was some never ending black hole that we had gotten sucked into. We ended up pulling into Oklahoma City just after midnight local time. We decided to get a hotel because the street that our apartment is on is a dead end and you can't back up the U-haul with the car dolly on it, its basically impossible. I didn't want to mess with my truck so we thought the hotel was a good route to go. We pulled into the hotel parking lot, and lo and behold, the damn parking lot is a dead end. We had to take my truck off the dolly, we were only about a mile from our apartment so we just pulled it there. Then we had to take the car dolly off the truck just so we could get the U-haul turned around. After all of this we decided that we might as well check and see if our apartment was unlocked and to our surprise it was. We pulled the mattresses out of the truck and went to sleep. Saturday morning we woke up and unloaded everything. If you even barely know me, you know I can't go a day without my sports updates so I had both dishnetwork and the internet people scheduled to come set us up on saturday. Here is a picture of the dishnetwork guy installing our satellite dish. I don't know if that ladder he is standing on has a weight limit, but if it does I would bet the mortgage that it's pretty close to being maxed out. I don't think that we could have asked for a smoother move. I did forget to mention that Rachelle's dad Amiel made the drive with us and he has been a big help, both in driving and in unloading things. So far we are enjoying Oklahoma, we haven't done anything yet and we are still wondering what there is to do but as soon as we do find something interesting you will be the first to know.

1 comment:

Christensen Family said...

You look so cute in your glasses driving that UHAUL!!! You need to blow up that picture and frame it!