7.04.2009

Happy Fourth of July

I flew back into town on Wednesday this week to head back to work. I am here until Friday next week. I was lucky enough to be here for my family's fourth of July party. Both of my sisters and their families were in from out of town. So my parents had a house full of wild kids. It was fun to have our whole family here almost. We were really sad that Cody could not be here with us. He adds a unique element of fun in my family. He was definitely missed. The party started with hot dogs and hamburgers for dinner. But before we could get to cooking the food my dad had to kill a bees nest in the grill as the above picture shows. I even made my new favorite treat which are chocolate dipped strawberries. They are incredible to say the least! After we dinner we played bingo with prizes we discovered that little kids make a lot more fun! I was helping my nephew mark his bingo card. He would whisper to me every minute, do we have it yet? He was so anxious to get a bingo and pick a prize. When he finally got it he was so thrilled! He told everyone he had the best card ever. He went with a classic brown bag present. Inside he found 2 marti gras beads (he is wearing in the picture) a plastic compass, 2 bouncy balls, some fake gold/silver coins, a small puzzle, a play notepad, and a chocolate bar. He was THRILLED! He yelled about how he was the luckiest boy ever! His reaction was the best part of bingo. It was like Christmas morning for him.

My brother in law Dave has a reputation for ending up with the worst gift at these kind of things. Last year he ended up with a cheesy soap dispenser which he wrapped up and got rid of this year. But he took home with him the patriotic flip flops (which are probably 2 sizes too small)! Cody this picture is for you. Dave is pointing at you letting you know you can expect to see these show up again at a future family party.


Chad and I have become good friends the past few months. Chad works at the same place as me and it is fun to see him constantly. Here he is showing off his marti gras beads.


The party was originally supposed to be a "western" themed party. So my mom made wanted posters for each person. I figured I might as well get a mug shot with my wanted poster. Looks pretty good doesn't it? My poster says that I am wanted for city hoppin' and my reward is $100,000.

After the party we had a small fireworks show in front of our house. The grand kids all loved it. I was surprised with so many younger kids that no one was in the house crying their eyes out over the fireworks. It always seems like there is a kid like that each year. It was nice to be together with everyone. With all the girls living in different states (and all in different time zones) now we probably wont be getting together too often. Except for the occasional blood curling screams and tears I enjoyed every minute tonight.

2 comments:

Chelsey said...

Oh I'm so glad that you were able to be here with your family for the 4th! It sounds like you had a blast! How is everything in Oklahoma?

Nicky said...

Hey! Looks like you had fun! How is OK? Have you found anything fun to do yet? Oh, if you like chocolate covered strawberries, you have to try Nutella covered strawberries. It's my weakness. You will love them!