12.25.2007

Merry Christmas

Well the holiday that we all can't wait to arrive, has finally arrived. It even brought with it a little fresh snow, I could have done without that to be quite honest. I am probably the only human being in the world that is blogging at 9:05 am, Christmas morning, unless there a few Jehovah Witnesses out there (which there probably are). I am blogging because my husband is in bed sleeping still of course, our presents were already opened weeks ago, I forgot to buy molasses so I can't make Rachael Ray's Gingerbread Waffles(they look fantastic!) and Santa apparently didn't think that we deserved stockings this year. Which is funny because I said to Cody I didn't buy anything for a stocking for you, and he was fine with that until about 9:30 pm last night when all of the sudden he thought he needed a stocking. He tried to convince me that Walmart was still open, apparently Walmart employees still want Christmas off too (weird I thought). Of course neither of us have stockings! But that is fine with me.

Lets face it, Christmas as a kid, is extremely different from Christmas as an adult. Wow, that was an obvious statement, sorry everyone probably already new that. I remember when I couldn't sleep for an hour straight because I was so excited. All of the kids used to sleep in the same room on Christmas eve, it was something I really looked forward to. In our family my Mom would set a spot on the couch for each family member. You would identify where your spot was by your stocking which was overflowing with stuffers, then we would have a whole area with unwrapped gifts, this would usually consist of bigger gifts, a new outfit, and whatever else my mom didn't want to wrap. Then in addition to that we would have some wrapped gifts to open as well. The thrill about this all was that at some point during the thousands of times I would wake up.....I had to choose when I would go downstairs to peek at basically my shrine on the couch. Normally Chad would wake me up and beg me to go and peek with him, so at 3 am we would quietly walk down to see all the things that we had wanted. The crappy thing about all this was that we had to wait until 7am for mom and dad to wake up before we could unwrap everything. So of course trying to go back to sleep was nearly impossible for us.

So now 10 years later, those times of being a kid on Christmas are long gone. I guess I can now look forward to playing Santa on Christmas for my own kids which will be in about....... 10 years. Until then the Christensen family tradition stands as is, all presents go unwrapped under the tree, for all to see! Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!!!!

2 comments:

kenna said...

You know, I was thinking the same thing on Christmas morning. Sigh...
Where is our innocence?

PennStateMama said...

Dude- you have got to learn how to WAIT until Christmas to unwrap your presents. I want Rachel Ray's gingerbread waffle recipe!